Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Online Harassment

So, I am pretty active in the Twitter community. I am faced with harassment online all the time, so the video by "Just Not Sports" hit very close to home.  I am have been threatened twice online with physical violence, one man telling me, "I want to tape your bitch mouth shut."  I have been told in person by a man when I worked at ROSS to, "shhh your fucking mouth."

The video by Just Not Sports made me cry when the men almost refused to continue speaking.  I re-posted the video on my Facebook and two male co-workers came to talk to me about this.  These men have never talked to me about anything else I had ever posted on Facebook, and they are openly anti-feminist.  They both told me that the video disgusted them and made them really question what they had thought about women being harassed online.  I told them to take a look on Twitter or on the comments section of a female celebrities blog or Facebook and they will seen rampant sexism and threats of violence and rape.

A man I am friends with on Facebook recently liked a post on Jennifer Lawrence making a suggestive hand gesture.  I counted ten posts saying something to the effect of "I want to hold her down and fuck her mouth."  I stopped counting at ten because the other comment surrounding it were even more vile, it was hard to stomach.

Just today, a man tweeted this to me.  I had tweeted about how happy I was that Ted Cruz dropped out of the Presidential race.  He is a Trump supporter.  I don't understand why he clearly felt the need to tweet these things to me, but he did....

being called the "C" word on Twitter is new for me.

http://jezebel.com/i-hope-you-get-raped-again-female-sportswriters-listen-1773096108

No comments:

Post a Comment